CLERMONT, FLA. – The York College softball team finished their Florida trip with their third straight split. York defeated Bates College 9-8 in game one but fell to Roanoke 8-3 in their finale. The Spartans went 7-5 in Florida.
York (Pa.): 7-5
Game One Stats
Runs: York 9 / Bates 8
Hits: York 15 / Bates 12
Errors: York 3 / Bates 1
Left on Base: York 8 / Bates 12
York Offensive Leaders
Elle Meyer: 4-for-5, 2 runs scored, SB
Shyla Pastore: 3-for-5, RBI, 2 runs scored, 2B
Joanna Marmo: 2-for-4, 3 RBI, 2B
Mia Ruffalo: 2-for-4, RBI, 2 runs scored, 2B
Alyssa Harhigh: 2-for-4, RBI, 1 run scored, 2B
Bates Offensive Leaders
Julia Panepinto: 3-for-5, 2 RBI, 1 run scored, 2B
Janell Sato: 2-for-3, 2 runs scored, 2 BB
Aleah Pagan: 2-for-4, 1 run scored
Kennedy Ishii: 2-for-5, 2 runs scored, SB
Mary Collette: 1-for-2, 4 RBI, 1 run scored, 2B, BB
Taylor Lindsay: 1.2 innings pitched, 2 hits, 2 runs, 1 earned run, 3 BB
Samantha Kiser: 4.1 innings pitched, 9 hits, 6 runs, 4 earned runs, 2 BB, 2 K (W, 1-1)
Shyla Pastore: 1.0 innings pitched, 1 hit, K (Save, 1)
Payton Buxton: 5.2 innings pitched, 13 hits, 9 runs, 4 earned runs, 2 BB, 3 K (L, 0-4)
Danielle Polirer: 1.0 innings pitched, 2 hits, 1 BB
Kirsten Pelletier: 0.1 innings pitched
How It Happened
• The Bobcats would get on the board early taking advantage of a Spartan error. Julia Panepinto would bring in the first run of the game with an RBI-double to center field. That would be the only run Bates could manage and would leave the bases-loaded as York minimized the damage.
• After a scoreless second inning, the only inning without a run the entire game, the Spartans would work the bases loaded with a couple of hits by Elle Meyer and Alyssa Harhigh to set the table for Joanna Marmo. Marmo would deliver with a two-out two-run single through the left side to bring in Shyla Pastore and Meyer to grab a 2-1 lead. Bates would tie the game up in the bottom half of the frame after a pair of singles to lead off the inning before a sacrifice fly from Mary Collette to bring in Janell Sato.
• The Spartans answered in the top of the fourth with a pair of tallies on three hits. Julie Van O'Linda led off the inning with a single and would advance to second on a sac bunt. Madison Brumagin would walk followed by back-to-back RBI-singles by Pastore and Meyer to bring in Van O'Linda and Brumagin as York retook the lead 4-2. Bates would again strand three runners in the bottom of the fourth to preserve the lead.
• Each team would add a pair of unearned runs in fifth inning to keep the score at a two-run margin. In the top of the sixth, York used five hits to score four runs with two outs. The Spartan offense put together five consecutive hits starting with singles by Pastore and Meyer. Harhigh would bring both runners in with a double to center field extending the lead four. Next batter, Mia Ruffalo would bring in Harhigh with a single to left. After a Bobcat pitching change, Marmo knocked in Ruffalo with an RBI-double as York took a 9-3 lead headed into the bottom of the sixth.
• Bates would answer York with a four-spot of their own in the bottom half of the sixth to bring the game back to within a pair. The Bobcats would load the bases to set up an RBI-single by Caroline Bass to start the scoring. Next up was Mary Collette and she would deliver a three-run double to center to bring the score to 9-7. Bates would leave a pair of runners on the bases and York took the two-run lead into the final stanza.
• The Spartans were unable to add any insurance runs in the top half of the seventh. Bates would threaten early getting runners on second and third with nobody out. After a strikeout, Panepinto would bring in one run with a groundout to shortstop bringing the margin to just one run. Pastore would get the final Bates hitter to groundout to first base getting the save and preserving the 9-8 victory for the Spartans.
Game Two Stats
Runs: York 3 / Roanoke 8
Hits: York 7 / Roanoke 9
Errors: York 4 / Roanoke 2
Left on Base: York 6 / Roanoke 10
York Offensive Leaders
Taylor Lindsay: 2-for-3, RBI, 2B
Alyssa Harhigh: 2-for-4, 1 run scored, 2B
Mia Ruffalo: 1-for-3, RBI, SB
Joanna Marmo: 1-for-2, RBI
Roanoke Offensive Leaders
Brooke Trapuzzano: 2-for-4, 3 RBI, 2B
Kate Priester: 1-for-4, 2 RBI
Rebecca Hensley: 1-for-4, RBI, 1 run scored, BB
Samantha Kiser: 3.0 innings pitched, 3 hits, 4 runs, 1 earned run, 3 BB (L, 1-2)
Hannah Vogt: 2.0 innings pitched, 2 hits, 2 runs, 2 earned runs, 1 BB
Taylor Lindsay: 2.0 innings pitched, 4 hits, 2 runs, 2 earned runs
Emily Salsberry: 7.0 innings pitched, 7 hits, 3 runs, 3 earned runs, 5 K (W, 4-0)
How It Happened
• The Spartans jumped on the Maroons in the first inning plating a pair on three hits. Shyla Pastore led off with a single up the middle followed up by a double by Alyssa Harhigh to put two runners in scoring position. Pastore would come in to score on a bunt single by Mia Ruffalo followed by a sacrifice fly by Joanna Marmo to bring in Harhigh giving York the early two-run lead.
• Roanoke would answer in the top of the second inning scoring three runs with two outs. After a double play turned by the Spartans, Kendall Penn would walk followed by an Alyssa Wagner single. The Maroon would get back-to-back singles by Rebecca Hensley and Brooke Trapuzzano to score the three runs and take the lead 3-2.
• A leadoff walk in the top of the third would come around to score for the Maroons when Kate Priester singled to center to extend the Roanoke advantage to 4-2. The Spartan offense would go quiet being held to hitless in both the third and fourth innings.
• After Roanoke added another tally in the fifth, the would take advantage of a pair of Spartan errors to bring in two more runs. A Taylor Lindsay double would plate a run for the Green and White in the bottom half of the sixth but the Spartans still trailed by four headed into the final inning.
• Roanoke would add some insurance with an RBI-double from Trapuzzano in the top half of the frame and the Spartans would go down in order to end the game as the Spartans dropped their Florida finale 8-3.
York is now 31-14 all-time in Clermont, Fla. … the Spartans are now 2-0 all-time against Bates College with the only other meeting coming 18 years ago on February 26, 2001 … York is now 1-6 against Roanoke, this was the first meeting in the series since 2012 … York finished their Spring trip to Florida with a 7-5 record … York scored 77 runs while hitting .319 on their Spring Trip … York only went 7-5 despite outscoring their opponents 77-40 in the 12 games … freshman Alyssa Harhigh had an outstanding start to her Spartan career hitting a team high .476 … she also led the team with 20 hits, 13 runs, 4 homeruns, and 17 RBI … three Spartans finished the trip with double-digit RBI totals, Harhigh (17), Mia Ruffalo (10), and Taylor Lindsay (10) … the York pitching staff only surrendered 25 runs in 79 innings and posted a 2.22 cumulative ERA … the York defense finished with 23 errors making at least one miscue in every game … freshman Elle Meyer led all Spartans with 7 stolen bases and the team was 25-for-27 on stolen base attempts … eleven different players recorded at least one stolen base.
The Spartans return from Florida and will have five days off before they are back in action when they travel to Stevenson University for a non-conference doubleheader. Game time is scheduled for 3:00 pm in Owings Mills, Md.