YORK, PA – The York College baseball team suffered a 25-9 non-conference loss to Susquehanna University on a windy Thursday afternoon in York. The Crusaders have won four straight as they improve to 6-6 while the Spartans fall to 5-11.
How It Happened:
• The Spartans struck for a pair of runs in the first inning as Zach Hossler hit the first pitch of the bottom of the first to right center for a double. Seth Brosius moved him to third with a single to left. Hossler would score on a Sean Mohollen sacrifice fly. Brosius stole second, moved to third on a wild pitch and scored on a Steve Miller RBI single to left for the 2-0 lead.
• Susquehanna answered back with two runs in the top of the third to tie the game. Dylan Jenkins led off the inning with a double and scored on a Matt Cassinelli RBI double to left center. Dylan Glassmire singled down the right field line to score Cassinelli, tying the game at two.
• York responded with four runs in the bottom of the second with three of them coming off the bat of Brosius as he blasted a three-run homer to deep center as York pushed out to a 6-2 lead.
• After a scoreless third inning, the Crusaders tallied five runs in fourth inning. Susquehanna had six hits and one Spartan error that led to SU taking a 7-6 lead.
• York tied the game with an RBI double from Brosius to score Hossler with the Spartans' seventh run.
• It went downhill from there for the Spartans as Susquehanna scored four runs in the fifth and three more in the seventh as they led 14-7 heading to the bottom of the seventh.
• York got a pair of runs back in the seventh as Logan Countryman singled and scored on a Patrick Clement RBI double. Clement came around to score on a throwing error as York cut their deficit to 14-9.
• Susquehanna put the game away with four runs in the eighth and a seven spot in the ninth to provide for the final 25-9 score.
Spartan Offensive Leaders:
Seth Brosius: 3-for-4, 4 RBI, 2 runs scored, 2B, HR
Zach Hossler: 2-for-4, 3 runs scored, 1 RBI, 2B
Steve Miller: 2-for-4, 1 RBI, 2B
Susquehanna Offensive Leaders:
Matt Cassinelli: 4-for-4, 5 RBI, 1 run scored, 3 2B
Tom Giaimo: 3-for-4, 2 runs scored
Justin Cassinelli: 2-for-5, 2 runs scored, 1 RBI
Zach Leone: 2-for-3, 2 runs scored, 1 RBI, 2B
Dylan Jenkins: 2-for-3, 3 runs scored, 1 RBI
Danny Gordon: 2-for-5, 2 runs scored, RBI, 2B
Spartan Pitching Leaders:
Matt Goodman: 3.0 IP, 8 hits, 6 earned runs, 5 BB, 2 K
Patrick Pittman: 1.2 IP, 5 hits, 5 runs, 4 earned runs, 1 K
Jordan Flowers: 1.1 IP, 1 hit, 0 runs, 1 K, 1 BB
Jake Krevetski: 0.1 IP, 3 hits, 3 earned runs, 1 K, 1 BB
Clayton Hoff: 1.2 IP, 5 hits, 4 earned runs, 1 K, 1 BB
Ben Demchak: 0.1 IP, 1 hit, 7 runs, 2 earned runs, 5 BB, 0 K
Bobby Kuehn: 0.2 IP, 1 hit, 0 runs
Susquehanna Pitching Leaders:
Bobby Whittemann: 2.0 IP, 6 hits, 6 earned runs, 1 BB, 1 K
Ryan Beckwith: 1.0 IP, 0 hits, 0 runs, 1 BB
James Panzarino: 1.0 IP, 1 hit, 1 earned run, 1 BB, 0 K
Sean Rodriguez: 1.0 IP, 1 hit, 0 runs, 2 BB
Jack Kinney: 1.0 IP, 0 hits, 0 runs
Bobby Klatt: 1.0 IP, 2 hits, 2 runs, 1 earned run, 0 K
Nathan Madden: 1.0 IP, 1 BB
Liam Conby: 1.0 IP, 1 K, 1 BB
Winning Pitcher (Record): James Panzarino (1-1)
Losing Pitcher (Record): Patrick Pittman (0-2)
Save (Number): None
Notes: York got nine runs on 10 hits with a season-high six errors while Susquehanna had 25 runs on 24 hits with two errors … York walked 13 batters and surrendered 24 hits, both season highs for the pitching staff … York has now allowed double digits in runs in seven games this season … the 25 runs comes just over 24 hours from the Spartans' first shutout of the year on Wednesday afternoon … after not scoring any runs in the second inning through their first 14 games, York has scored six second inning runs in their last two games … Susquehanna banged out eight doubles in the win … York tied their season high with four doubles in the game … York is now 3-3 on their season-high eight game home stand.
What's Next: The Spartans conclude their season-high eight game home stand on Saturday afternoon when they host Christopher Newport University in a Capital Athletic Conference doubleheader at Jaquet Field. First pitch for game one is slated for 12:00 pm.
Seth Brosius photo courtesy of Joe Rodgers - Five Star Media