BROOKLYN, N.Y. – The 2017 York College baseball season came to a close on Sunday as the Spartans fell to the New York University Violets by a score of 10-2 in a non-conference contest in Brooklyn, NY.
York (Pa.): 18-23
New York U: 23-13
Runs: York 2 / NYU 10
Hits: York 7 / NYU 16
Errors: York 0 / NYU 0
Left On Base: York 6 / NYU 6
Spartan Offensive Leaders
Zach Hossler: 3-for-4, 1 run scored, RBI, 2B
Seth Brosius: 1-for-3, RBI, 2B
Patrick Clement: 1-for-2, 1 run scored, 2 BB
Bryce Stout: 1-for-4, 2B
Violet Offensive Leaders
Colman Hendershot: 5-for-5, 1 run scored, RBI
Jack Walter: 2-for-4, 2 runs scored, 2 RBI, 2B
Ryan McLaughlin: 2-for-5, 1 run scored, 2 RBI
Scott Hilbrandt: 2-for-3, 1 run scored, 2 RBI
Joel Kenney: 6.1 IP, 10 hits, 5 earned runs, 4 K, 1 BB (Loss, 3-3)
Randy Frankenfield: 1.2 IP, 6 hits, 5 earned runs, 0 K, 1 BB
Ford Ladd: 5.0 IP, 5 hits, 2 earned runs, 1 K, 1 BB
Zach Cohen: 2.0 IP, 1 hit, 0 runs, 0 K, 2 BB (Win, 3-1)
Matthew Wells: 1.0 IP, 0 hits, 0 runs
Matthew Millus: 1.0 IP, 1 hit, 0 runs
How It Happened:
• NYU responded with a two runs in the bottom of the first to take a 2-1 lead.
• The next three innings were scoreless as the Violets held on to the one run lead.
• York tied the game in the top of the sixth and Hossler was in the middle of the action again. Patrick Clement walked, moved to second on a ground out and scored on a Hossler single to right.
• The Violets took the lead for good in the bottom of the sixth as Scott Hilbrandt stroked a two-run single to center, giving NYU the 4-2 lead.
• NYU made it 5-2 with a single run in the bottom of the seventh on a Ryan McLaughlin RBI single to center.
• The Violets removed all doubt in the bottom of the eighth as they plated five runs on five hits as the lead ballooned to 10-2.
The Spartans concluded the series against NYU 0-2 in the first two meetings in the history of the programs … The Spartans concluded the season losing six straight and 11 of their last 14 games of the season … junior Zach Hossler finished the year red hot as he was 22-of-38 (.578) over his final nine games of the season … junior Seth Brosius finished the year with 16 doubles as he had a pair of two baggers for the weekend … Brosius ended the season with a nine-game hitting streak while he also had at least one hit in 18 of his last 19 games of his season.
The Spartans' 2017 season has concluded. York will return to action next February when they head south to open the season.