CHESTER, PA. – The York College baseball team topped their future MAC foe the day after it was announced York was joining the conference by a 12-7 score in a slugfest on a windy Wednesday afternoon in southeast Pennsylvania.
York (Pa.): 13-5
Game One Stats
Runs: York 12 / Widener 7
Hits: York 15 / Widener 11
Errors: York 2 / Widener 4
Left on Base: York 13 / Widener 6
York Offensive Leaders
Grant Oberholtzer: 4-for-5, 3 RBI, 2 runs scored, 3B, SB
Jack Barry: 3-for-5, 2 RBI, 2 runs scored, 2B, BB
Garrett Southern: 2-for-5, 3 RBI, SB
Brandon White: 2-for-4, RBI, BB
Widener Offensive Leaders
Matt Samson: 2-for-5, 2 RBI, 2 runs scored, HR
Brandon Reis: 2-for-4, 2 RBI, 1 run scored, SB
Stephen DeBellis: 2-for-4, 1 run scored, 2 2B, BB
Tommy McParland: 2-for-4, 1 run scored, 2B
Josh Mann: 2.1 innings pitched, 7 hits, 5 runs, 5 earned, BB
Rory Costello: 4.2 innings pitched, 1 hit, 1 run, 1 earned, BB, 3 K (W, 1-0)
Zac Stoll: 1.0 innings pitched, 2 hits, 1 run, 1 earned
Conor Miller: 1.0 innings pitched, 1 hit, K
Bryson Turner: 3.1 innings pitched, 7 hits, 7 runs, 4 earned, 4 BB, 2 K (L, 0-3)
Sean Maniatis: 1.2 innings pitched, 2 hits, 1 run, 1 earned, K
Donald Edwards: 1.0 innings pitched, 2 hits
Jake Good: 1.0 innings pitched, 2 hits, K
Alex Zilli: 1.0 innings pitched, 1 hit, 2 runs, 2 earned, BB, K
Joseph Luscko: 0.0 innings pitched, 1 hit, 2 runs, 2 earned, BB
Chris Sparacino: 1.0 innings piched, BB
How It Happened
• The Pride jumped on top of York in the bottom of the first as Matt Samson blasted a lead-off homerun to right field to put Widener up 1-0 early.
• York would respond in the top of the second with three runs on just two hits. The Spartans took advantage of two free passes and brought in runs on an RBI-groundout by Garrett Southern and a two-run single to left field by Grant Oberholtzer. Widener would answer with a three-run second inning of their own grabbing four hits in the inning. Ryan Bennett brought in the first run of the game on an RBI-double down the left field line. Samson would bring in Bennett on a single and then Samson would score on a triple to right center by Nathan Valenta as the Pride retook the lead 4-3 after two innings.
• The Spartans would capitalize on one of the four Widener errors in the third inning as Luke Turner reached on an error that brought home Jack Barry to tie the score up at four. York would add three more in the fourth inning scoring runs on another Widener error that brought in Oberholtzer who had singled and advanced on a different Widener miscue. The Spartans would get their other two runs on an RBI-double by Barry and a passed ball. Rory Costello would get the Pride to go down in order and York led 7-5 after four innings.
• Each team would bring in a run in the fifth on an RBI-triple from Oberholtzer. The Pride would bring in a run on an RBI-groundout in the bottom half of the inning as the Spartans still led by a pair after five.
• After a pair of scoreless innings, York would score two runs on just one hit taking advantage of yet another Widener error. York would make them pay as Southern knocked in Jimmy Wiegers and Justin Kilpatrick to extend the lead to four. The Pride would use another RBI-groundout in the bottom of the inning to pull within three.
• York would add some insurance runs with an RBI-single by Barry and a sac fly by Brandon White as York now led 12-7 with three outs to go. York would weather a double and an error to keep the Pride scoreless in the ninth as the Spartans won 12-7 in a windy afternoon in Chester, Pa.
The Spartans are now 4-1 all-time against the Pride … this was the first meeting with their future MAC counterpart since March 16, 2003 … the Spartan offense has now had double-digit hits in three straight games … York scored in double figures for the eighth time this season … Rory Costello came out of the bullpen to pick up his first career win with the Spartans … Grant Oberholtzer has been red hot over his last three games as he is hitting 7-for-16 (.434) with 1 triple, two homeruns, and 10 RBI … Oberholtzer also scored his 100th career run when he scored in the ninth inning … Garrett Southern drove in three runners for the second time in three games … Jack Barry is also starting to heat up at the plate going 7-for-12 (.583) with a double and 3 RBI over his last three contests … the Spartans are 4-3 on the road this year.
The Spartans return home as they resume their conference schedule with a three-game series against St. Mary's. Saturday will feature a twin bill followed by a single game on Sunday. First pitch Saturday scheduled for 12:00 pm.