YORK, PA. – Brandon Haggerty tossed seven strong innings and the Spartan offense exploded for 13 runs as the York College baseball team won their fourth game in a row and completed the three-game sweep of St. Mary's on Sunday afternoon.
York (Pa.): 16-5, (9-2)
St. Mary's: 5-17-1, (0-12)
Score: York 13, St. Mary's 4
Hits: York 15, St. Mary's 7
Errors: York 2, St. Mary's 2
Left on Base: York 10, St. Mary's 4
Doubles: York 2, St. Mary's 0
Triples: York 0, St. Mary's 0
Homeruns: York 2, St. Mary's 1
York Offensive Leaders
Jack Barry: 2-for-4, 5 RBI, 1 run scored, HR
Luke Turner: 3-for-4, RBI, 2 runs scored,
Austin Denlinger: 3-for-5, 3 runs scored, 2B, SB
Grant Oberholtzer: 3-for-4, RBI, 2 runs scored, 2B
St. Mary's Offensive Leaders
Bowen Plagge: 1-for-3, RBI, 2 runs scored, HR, BB
Connor Coursey: 1-for-4, 1 run scored
Joey Bryner: 1-for-1, 1 run scored
Brandon Haggerty: 7.0 innings pitched, 4 hits, 1 run, 1 earned, 7 K (W, 3-2)
Robert Chaney: 1.0 innings pitched, 2 K
Steven Hendrix: 1.0 innings pitched, 3 hits, 3 runs, 1 earned, BB
St. Mary's Pitching
Dan McCann: 3.0 innings pitched, 6 hits, 6 runs, 6 earned, 3 K (L, 0-2)
Griffin Honse: 0.1 innings pitched, 5 hits, 5 runs, 5 earned, BB
Sam Roeder: 2.2 innings pitched, 3 hits, 2 runs, 1 earned, BB, 2 K
Nick Testoni: 2.0 innings pitched, 1 hit, BB
How It Happened
• It did not take long for the Spartans to draw blood as they struck for a pair of runs in the opening frame. After Grant Oberholtzer was hit by the second pitch of the game, Austin Denlinger singled up the middle to set the table for back-to-back RBI-singles by Luke Turner and Jimmy Wiegers with two outs as York took an early 2-0 lead.
• The Spartans would grab another two runs in the second inning, again with two outs. Bailey Doan was plunked with a pitch and would advance on a Denlinger double down the left field line to bring by Jack Barry who muscled a jam-shot single to shallow center field to double the Spartan lead at 4-0.
• As Brandon Haggerty continued to roll allowing just one baserunner through three innings, York would continue to add to their lead as Rob Acierno blasted a line drive two-run homer to left center to extend the Spartan lead to 6-0 after three.
• The Spartans would balloon their lead in the fourth inning bringing in five runs on five hits. A three-run no-doubt homerun to right field off the bat of Barry and a two-run single to left by Garrett Southern pushed the Spartans advantage to double digits at 11-0.
• Haggerty continued to cruise allowing just three hits through six frames and the Spartans would add two more runs in the bottom of the sixth on an RBI-single by Oberholtzer and a passed ball with the bases loaded and York stretched their lead to 13.
• The Seahawks would finally get on the board in the top of the seventh when Bowen Plagge hit a solo homerun to left center and St. Mary's would add three runs late in the ninth to pull within single digits but the Spartans cruised to a 13-4 win and a three-game series sweep of the Seahawks.
The Spartans are now 63-17 all-time against the Seahawks … the Spartans have now won seven straight games against St. Mary's … this was the second three-game sweep in CAC play for the Spartans with the other coming against Southern Virginia … York hit four homeruns in the series and now has multiple homers in six games this year … York's 15 runs was the most they have scored since they had 15 back on March 19 in a win over Elizabethtown … the Spartans .308 batting average is second in the CAC only behind Christopher Newport at .337 … Rob Acierno blasted his first homerun of the year in the win … Jack Barry hit his second homer of the year and set a new season-high with 5 RBI in the win … Austin Denlinger has three more hits and now has five games this year with at least three hits … Brandon Haggerty tossed a career-best seven innings while tying his career high with seven punchouts … York has a .344 team batting average and a 3.25 ERA at home compared to their .272 average and 5.25 ERA on the road showing how dominant they have been at Jaquet Field this season as they are 8-0 at Jaquet as the home team.
The Spartans head on the road their next time out as they travel to take on Wesley on Wednesday. First pitch scheduled for 3:30 pm in Dover, Delaware.