MYRTLE BEACH, S.C. – The York College baseball squad split their two games on Wednesday afternoon in Myrtle Beach, South Carolina. The Spartans blanked Bridgewater (Va.) 11-0 in their first game of the day but then fell to Eastern Nazarene 5-4 in game two.
York is now 2-4 six games into their seven game spring trip.
Score: York 11, Bridgewater (Va.) 0
Record: York 2-3, BC 9-2
Hits: York 7, BC 4
Errors: York 0, BC 2
How It Happened
• The Spartans got off to a terrific start in the first game of the split doubleheader as they were the benefactor of Eagle walks and errors. Austin Denlinger and Jimmy Wiegers drew back-to-back walks to open the bottom of the first. Denlinger came around to score on an Eagle error as York led 1-0 three batters into their half of the first. Jack Barry then reached on a second consecutive error. Brandon White laced a single to right to score Wiegers for the 2-0 lead. After a wild pitch scored Joe Capobianco, Luke Turner walked to reload the bases. The Eagles went to the bullpen and finally got an out with a strikeout. Craig Wiley made it 4-0 with a bases loaded single. Freshman Brian Jakubek walked to score a fifth run for York. Denlinger plated York's sixth run of the frame with another bases loaded walk. Wiegers capped the inning with an RBI ground out as the Spartans had their biggest inning of the young campaign.
• York added to their lead in the fifth as Jakubek drew a two out walk and Denlinger had an infield single. After a wild pitch moved each Spartan up 90 feet, Wiegers ripped a single to right to score Jakubek and Denlinger for the 9-0 Spartan lead.
• York closed out the scoring on a White two-run single to center in the bottom of the eighth to provide the Spartans with their final 11 run margin of victory.
Spartan Offensive Leaders
Brandon White: 2-for-4, 1 run scored, 3 RBI
Jimmy Wiegers: 1-for-4, 1 run scored, 3 RBI
Craig Wiley: 1-for-3, 1 run scored, 1 RBI
Austin Denlinger: 1-for-3, 2 runs scored, 1 RBI
Eagles Offensive Leaders
Kevin Navedo: 2-for-4
Brett Tharp: 2-for-3, SB
Conor Miller: 7.0 IP, 3 hits, 0 runs, 3 K, 3 BB (Win, 1-1)
Andrew Ross: 2.0 IP, 1 hit, 3 K, 1 BB
William Flanagan: 0.0 IP, 1 hit, 6 runs, 2 earned runs, 3 BB (Loss, 0-1)
JT Creed: 4.0 IP, 2 hits, 1 run, 3 K, 4 BB
Bryce Masters: 3.0 IP, 2 hits, 2 earned runs, 1 K, 2 BB
Landon Smith: 1.0 IP, 2 hits, 2 earned runs, 1 BB
Score: York 4, Eastern Nazarene 5
Record: York 2-4, ENU 5-3)
Hits: York 8, ENU 7
Errors: York 3, ENU 0
How It Happened
• The Spartans got on the board first as Austin Denlinger smacked a solo home run to lead off the top of the first inning. The homer was Denlinger's first of the year.
• The Lions tied the game in the bottom of the fourth on an RBI ground out from Hunter Leroux-Porter.
• York recaptured the lead in the top of the fifth. Jimmy Wiegers ripped a two-out triple. He came around to score on a Joe Capobianco RBI single. York pushed their lead to 4-1 in the sixth as Luke Turner blasted a two-run home run.
• The Lions won the game in the bottom of the seventh as they scored four runs on three hits with two Spartan errors.
• York got a pair of runners on with two outs in the ninth but Daniel Rivera came in and got a strikeout to earn the save.
Spartan Offensive Leaders
Jimmy Wiegers: 2-for-5, 1 run scored, 3B
Luke Turner: 2-for-4, 1 run scored, 2 RBI, HR
Austin Denlinger: 1-for-3, 1 run scored, 1 RBI, HR
Lion Offensive Leaders
Steven Pesce: 2-for-4, 1 run scored, 1 RBI, 2B
Juan Jacobo Lopez: 1-for-4, 1 run scored, 1 RBI, 2B
Brandon Guerrero: 1-for-3, 1 run scored, 1 RBI
Rory Costello: 6.1 IP, 7 hits, 5 runs, 3 earned runs, 2 K, 0 BB (Loss, 0-1)
Tim Halasnik: 1.2 IP, 0 H, 2 K, 2 BB
Morgan Weast: 8.2 IP, 8 hit, 4 earned runs, 8 K, 4 BB (Win, 2-0)
Daniel Rivera: 0.1 IP, 1 K (Save, 2)
The Spartans are now 2-2 all-time against Bridgewater as they teams were meeting for the first time since 2007 … the meeting with Eastern Nazarene was the first meeting between the two programs … junior Jimmy Wiegers and sophomore Austin Denlinger are tied for the team lead with eight RBI each … York has out-homered their six opponents 5-3 … the Spartans have drawn 35 walks in their six games.
The Spartans conclude their spring trip on Friday as they face Moravian in South Carolina. First pitch is set for 10:00 am.