LYNCHBURG, VA – The York College field hockey team picked up a huge non-conference 1-0 road win on Saturday at the University of Lynchburg. The Spartans got a first quarter goal and then made it stand up behind senior Sam Keating who made her first start of the year in goal for the Green and White.
Final Score: York 1, Lynchburg 0
Records: York 5-4, Lynchburg 5-3
Shots: York 10, Lynchburg 12
Shots on Goal: York 5, Lynchburg 5
Penalty Corners: York 5, Lynchburg 8
Defensive Saves: York 0, Lynchburg 0
Saves: York 5, Lynchburg 4
How It Happened:
• The Spartans opened the scoring on their first shot with just over nine minutes left in the opening quarter. Sophomore Sam Collis found Abby Piotrowski with a pass and the freshman forward finished it off to give York the 1-0 lead on the first shot of the game.
• York finished the first quarter with a 3-2 edge in total shots as two of York's three shots were on target.
• York had the better of the play early in the second quarter. York had two penalty corners and three shots in the first five minutes of the quarter. The Hornets responded with two penalty corners and four shots of their own. Spartan goalie Sam Keating recorded a pair of saves in the period to keep Lynchburg off the board.
• Lynchburg opened the third quarter by drawing a pair of penalty corners. The Hornets managed a shot off the second corner but Keating made the save. Keating notched another save 20 seconds later to keep Lynchburg at bay.
• The fourth period saw the Hornets press the Spartans in an effort to tie the match. The Hornets had three penalty corners and three shots over the first five minutes of the fourth quarter but the Spartan defense held true. York wrestled back control of the game over the final five minutes of the game as they were able to kill the clock and preserve the win.
Abby Piotrowski: 1 goal, 1 shot on goal
Sam Collis: 1 assist, 1 shot on goal
Kristin Varilla: 2 shots, 1 shot on goal
Hannah Huffman: 2 shots, 1 shot on goal
Jackie Lerro: 4 shots, 1 shot on goal
Kessa Romero: 3 shots, 2 shots on goal
Kaylie Truitt: 3 shots
Sam Keating (YCP): 60:00 minutes played, 0 goals allowed, 5 saves (Win, 1-0)
Laurel Nicks (LYN): 60:00 minutes played, 1 goal against, 4 saves (Loss, 5-3)
York is now 6-8 all-time against Lynchburg as the Spartans have won two straight in the series … senior Sam Keating made her first start in goal for the Green and White after being hampered by an illness that delayed the start to her year … the shutout is the fifth career clean sheet for the Spartan senior … the shutout is the first this year for the Spartans … York improves to 3-1 in true road games this year … freshman Abby Piotrowski notched her first career goal in the win … she now has five points as she entered the game with three assists.
The Spartans continue their three-game road trip as they head to Juniata College to face the Eagles in a non-conference contest. The match is slated for a 7:00 pm start in Huntingdon, PA.