ST. MARY'S CITY, MD – The York College men's basketball team overcame a 13-point second half deficit to record a dramatic 77-74 Capital Athletic Conference win at St. Mary's on Wednesday night in St. Mary's City, Maryland. Freshman Logan Collins scored the final seven points of the game for the Spartans including the go-ahead jumper with 22 seconds left in regulation.
York (Pa.): 11-5 (1-1 CAC)
St. Mary's (Md.): 5-12 (0-2 CAC)
Score: York 77, St. Mary's 74
FG: York 29-for-65 (44.6%), SMC 28-for-62 (45.2%)
3PT FG: York 7-for-28 (25%), SMC 8-for-22 (36.4%)
FT: York 12-for-17 (70.6%), SMC 10-for-18 (55.6%)
Rebounds: York 36, SMC 43
Assists: York 15, SMC 13
Turnovers: York 13, SMC 19
Blocked Shots: York 2, SMC 3
Steals: York 7, SMC 9
How It Happened:
• Much like they did in Friday's game at Christopher Newport, the Spartans raced out to a quick start as they scored the first seven points of the game. The Spartans eventually pushed the lead to 11-2 before the Seahawks started climbing back into the game.
• The Seahawks fashioned an impressive 21-4 run that turned a seven-point Spartan lead into a 10-point St. Mary's bulge. The Spartans got back-to-back three pointers from Joe Polczynski to kick start a 13-3 York run as the Green and White tied the game at 36 with 3:19 left in the half. St. Mary's ended the half with a 9-3 run as they took a 45-39 lead to the break.
• St. Mary's was on-fire from the field in the opening 20 minutes as they shot 63% (17-for-27) while they also went 7-for-12 (58.3%) from three. Gillette tallied 22 first half points as St. Mary's had just three of ten players reach the scoring column. Dee Barnes added 16 while Gary Grant chipped in with seven points.
• The second half looked to be a carry over from the end of the first half as St. Mary's continued to hold the lead. The advantage grew to a game-high 13 on a Gillette three pointer with 12:39 left in the game. The lead was ten at 63-53 with 8:55 left as the Spartans just couldn't get going offensively.
• Senior Jared Wagner got the Spartans going with a personal 8-2 run to trim York's deficit to three at 66-63 with 4:25 left. The Seahawks answered with two straight buckets to take a 70-63 lead with 3:34 remaining. Wagner and David Giuliani hit back-to-back lay ups to get York to within three points. On the ensuing in-bounds play, St. Mary's called a timeout they didn't have and Logan Collins split the two technical free throws to draw York to within two.
• The Spartans tied the game at 70 as Wagner hit another tough layup with 2:14 left in the game. Grant gave the Seahawks their final lead of the game with a three-point play with 1:18 left on the clock. Collins began his personal run to end the game as he cashed out a three pointer from the left corner with 1:08 left, tying the game at 73. After Wagner came up with a huge steal, Collins hit a jumper from the right elbow with 22 ticks left to give York the lead. Gillette drew a foul with seven seconds left but missed the second free throw after making the first. Collins picked up one of the biggest rebounds of his young career and was fouled. He drilled both free throws as St. Mary's was not able to get off a shot and the Spartans escaped with a big-time league road win.
David Giuliani: 20 points, 8 rebounds, 1 assist, 9-for-16 FG
Jared Wagner: 18 points, 9 rebounds, 8 rebounds, 3 steals, 1 blocked shot
Logan Collins: 16 points, 3 rebounds, 1 steal, 1 blocked shot
Miles Gillett: 32 points, 6 rebounds, 1 assist, 13-for-20 FG, 4-for-8 3PT FG, 2-for-3 FT
Gary Grant: 20 points, 6 rebounds, 2 assists, 1 blocked shot
Dee Barnes: 16 points, 4 rebounds, 3 assists, 3 steals
The Spartans have now won eight straight against the Seahawks and are 45-25 all-time against St. Mary's … the trip to the Arc Arena is the final regular season visit as a Capital Athletic Conference foe as the Spartans are heading to the MAC next fall while St. Mary's heads to the Northeast Athletic Conference … York improves to 4-3 on the road … York has been held to just seven three pointers in each of their last two games … York has not hit double figures in threes in their last four games … the Spartans were held to below 45% shooting from the floor for just the fifth time this year … the Spartans held St. Mary's to just 31.4% shooting (11-for-35) in the second half including a chilly 1-for-10 from three … freshman Logan Collins set a new career-high with 16 points … 14 of Collins' points came in the second half … Collins was 5-for-9 from the floor including one three while he was also 5-for-6 from the stripe … junior David Giuliani was one point short of tying his career high with his 20 points … Giuliani now has three 20-point efforts this year … Giuliani has reached double figures in 15 of his 16 games this year … Giuliani made 56.3% of his shots in the game and he has now surpassed the 50% mark in 14 games … senior Jared Wagner now has 1,261 career points after his 18 points in the win … Wagner sits 16th on the all-time scoring list … Wagner is 13 points short of tying former Spartan sharp-shooter John Ely for 15th place on the all-time scoring list … Wagner is now second in all-time free throws made with 387 and third in free throws attempted … Wagner continues to lead the CAC in scoring (18.0 ppg), assists per game (7.2 apg), and steals per game (3.2 spg) while he is third in field goal percentage (57.7%), eighth in three point percentage (39%) and seventh in free throw percentage (72.2%).
The Spartans conclude their three-game road trip to open their Capital Athletic Conference campaign with a trip to Buena Vista, Virginia to face Southern Virginia in a league tilt. Tip time at the barn is set for 3:00 pm.