YORK, PA – The York College men's soccer team celebrated senior day with an offensive outburst for a 5-0 victory over the Southern Virginia Knights in a CAC tilt on a cloudy Saturday afternoon.
Final Score: York 5 – SVU 0
Records: York 8-3-1, SVU 1-12
Shots: York 34, SVU 2
Shots on Goal: York 16, SVU 0
Corner Kicks: York 17, SVU 0
Saves: York 0, SVU 11
How It Happened:
• The Spartans found the back of the net early after Isiah Dorsey worked the ball away from the Southern Virginia goalkeeper and fed a pass to fellow junior Keith Witherell who placed a curving left-footed short into the top right corner of the opening net to give York an early 1-0 lead.
• Although the Spartan offense peppered 16 shots in the first half, the only found the back of the net once and led at halftime 1-0.
• The flood gates opened in the second half at the 66-minute mark Keith Witherell punched in his second score of the game off a short corner from Pat Harkanson and Witherell tucked it passed the keeper at the near post.
• Only a minute and 42 seconds later, senior Nathan Bilbie was at the right place at the right time as he was able to finish off a ricocheted ball inside the six-yard box to extend the Spartans lead to 3-0.
• Freshman Travis Gould was on the receiving end of a cross from the left side of the offensive third off the foot of Chase Crable to give York a four-goal advantage with just under 18 minutes to play.
• In the 78th minute, senior Dan Bechtel finished off a cross this time from the right side of the field from Travis Gould to officially put the nail in the coffin against the Knights making the lead 5-0.
Keith Witherell: 2 goals, 2 shots on goal, 2 shots
Nathan Bilbie: 1 goal, 3 shots on goal, 10 shots
Dan Bechtel: 1 goal, 1 shot on goal, 3 shots
Travis Gould: 1 goal, 1 assist, 1 shot on goal, 4 shots
Seth Grieve: 1 shot
Gabriel Ramirez: 1 shot
Billy Bridegum (YCP): 45 minutes played, 0 goals against, 0 saves (Win, 7-3-1)
Devin Weiner (YCP): 37.25 minutes played, 0 goals against, 0 saves
Trevor Hogan (YCP) 7.35 minutes played, 0 goals against, 0 saves
Jacob Solis (SVU): 90 minutes played, 5 goals against, 10 saves (Loss, 1-5)
York is 6-0 all-time against the Knights … the Spartans have now outscored Southern Virginia 35-1 in their six meetings combined … the shutout was their fifth shutout of the Knights in six games … junior Keith Witherell tallied his second and third goal of the season in the win … Isiah Dorsey added to his team-leading point total with an assist, giving him nine points on the year … freshman Travis Gould scored his third goal of the season which is tied for the most on the team with Witherell and Dorsey … senior Nathan Bilbie scored his second goal in just his fourth game since returning from injury … senior Dan Bechtel also tallied a goal, which was his first on the season in the victory … York extends their unbeaten streak to five games in a row where they have outscored opponents 13-2 during that span … the shutout was their fifth such win on the season as the Spartans only allow 0.65 goals per game … the Spartans are now 2-2 at home this year.
The Spartans remain in York when the host the Penn State-Harrisburg Lions in a CAC showdown on Wednesday. Kick off scheduled for 7:00 pm.