BRIDGEWATER, VA – The York College men's soccer squad capped a successful opening weekend with a 3-0 win over Bridgewater College on Saturday afternoon. The game was the second round of the EMU/Bridgewater Soccer Classic, co-hosted by Eastern Mennonite and Bridgewater.
Final Score: York 3, Bridgewater (Va.) 0
Records: York 2-0, BC 0-2
Shots: York 13, BC 5
Shots on Goal: York 5, BC 3
Corner Kicks: York 4, BC 2
Saves: York 3, BC 2
Fouls: York 7, BC 10
How It Happened:
• After a short time off after last night's double overtime win, the Spartans struck early in the game. Malcom Djiki collected a Chase Crable corner kick in the box and found Ethan Lassen who finished off the chance for the 1-0 Spartan lead less than 10 minutes into the game.
• York made it 2-0 in the 28th minute as Keith Witherell hit a great ball into the box on a corner kick. The ball found the head of freshman Connor Oburn who finished the chance for his first collegiate goal.
• The Spartans' third goal came on another set piece. Travis Gould drew a foul just outside the right side of the box. Senior Tony Mosqueira took the free kick just outside the box and struck a beautiful left footed ball that crossed the box. Freshman Max Chamorro banged the ball in on the back left post to put the Spartans up 3-0 with 6:34 remaining in the half.
• The Spartans outshot the Eagles 7-3 while they also held a 2-1 margin in corner kicks.
• The second half saw the Spartans play a number of players as offensive opportunities were at a premium for a pair of teams who were playing their second game in less than 18 hours after double overtime games on Friday night.
• Junior keeper Billy Bridegum picked up his first clean sheet of the year with three saves in the win.
Ethan Lassen: 1 goal, 1 shot on goal
Connor Oburn: 1 goal, 1 shot on goal
Max Chamorro: 1 goal, 1 shot on goal
Malcom Djiki: 1 assist
Keith Witherell: 1 assist, 1 shot
Tony Mosqueira: 1 assist
Thomas White: 2 shots
Alex Martinez: 1 shot on goal
James Yeboah: 1 shot on goal
John Meier: 1 shot on goal
Billy Bridegum (YCP): 90:00 minutes played, 0 goals against, 3 saves (Win, 2-0)
Colin Rouaud (BC): 90:00 minutes played, 3 goals against, 2 saves (Loss, 0-2)
This was the first meeting between York and Bridgewater on the soccer pitch … York has started 2-0 in three of Evan Scheffey's five seasons at the helm of the program … all three Spartan goals were tallied by freshmen playing in their second collegiate games … after notching his first collegiate assist on Zion Friday's game winning goal against Eastern Mennonite, Malcom Djiki notched his second assist on Ethan Lassen's opening tally … the clean sheet for junior Billy Bridegum was his sixth career shutout … York had five different goal scorers for the weekend.
The Spartans open their home schedule on Wednesday afternoon as they host Stevenson University in a non-conference contest. Opening kick-off at Graham Field is set for 3:30 pm.