FREDERICKSBURG, VA. – The York College softball team had their 2019 campaign come to an end as they fell to top-seeded Mary Washington 10-2 in the final match of their pod in the CAC tournamnet.
York (Pa.): 25-19
Southern Virginia: 11-30, 3-9
Mary Washington: 21-17, 9-3
Game One Stats
Runs: York 6 / Southern Virginia 2
Hits: York 4 / Southern Virginia 8
Errors: York 4 / Southern Virginia 5
Left on Base: York 6 / Southern Virginia 8
York Offensive Leaders
Natalie Decena: 2-for-3, 2 RBI, 1 run scored, 3B, 2 SB
Taylor Lindsay: 1-for-3, RBI, BB
Madison Brumagin: 1-for-3, 2 runs scored
Southern Virginia Offensive Leaders
Heather Terranova: 2-for-4, 1 run scored
Krystal Kemp: 1-for-4, RBI
Tara Hilton: 1-for-2, RBI
Ginger Lewis: 7.0 innings pitched, 8 hits, 2 runs, 2 earned runs, 5 K (W, 14-7)
Southern Virginia Pitching
Megan Harmon: 7.0 innings pitched, 4 hits, 6 runs, 3 earned runs, 3 BB, 3 K (L, 7-18)
How It Happened
• After a pair of scoreless innings, York would get on the board in the top of the third inning taking advantage of three Knight errors without registering a hit. York's first run scored on a Knight error off the bat of Natalie Decena that brought in Madison Brumagin, who reached base to lead off the inning on a different error. A double steal later in the inning would score Decena as the Spartans led 2-0 after three innings.
• Taylor Lindsay would get the first Spartan hit in the fourth with a single to left to start the frame. After a walk to Julie Van O'Linda, the Spartans would score a pair of runs on an infield single by Decena and another Knight error giving York a 4-0 advantage after four innings.
• The Knights would claw back in to the game plating a pair of runs on five hits in the bottom of the fifth inning. The Knights would hit five straight singles in the innings. Krystal Kemp put the Knights on the board with an RBI-single to center that scored Heather Terranova. Megan Harmon would score two batters later on a sac fly by Tara Hilton but the Knights would strand two runners but the York lead was cut to 4-2 after five innings of play.
• York would answer right away in the top of the sixth when Decena roped a triple to left center to bring in Brumagin who led off the frame with a single of her won as the Spartans pushed their lead back out to three. The Spartans would get some insurance in the seventh inning on an RBI-groundout by Lindsay to bring in Alyssa Harhigh to push the lead to 6-2. Ginger Lewis would retire the Knights in order in the bottom half of the inning to win 6-2 and advance to the final match of Pod A against Mary Washington.
Game Two Stats
Runs: York 2 / Mary Washington 10
Hits: York 5 / Mary Washington 11
Errors: York 1 / Mary Washington 1
Left on Base: York 6 / Mary Washington 6
York Offensive Leaders
Natalie Decena: 2-for-2, 1 run scored, SB
Mia Ruffalo: 1-for-2, 2 RBI, BB
Alyssa Harhigh: 1-for-2, BB
Mary Washington Offensive Leaders
Rachel Porchie: 3-for-3, 5 RBI, 2 runs scored, HR, 2B
Danielle Newman: 3-for-3, 2 runs scored, 3B, SB
Hannah Bruns: 3-for-4, RBI, 3 runs scored, 3B, SB
Ginger Lewis: 2.2 innings pitched, 9 hits, 10 runs, 9 earned runs, K (L, 14-8)
Shyla Pastore: 1.1 innings pitched, 2 hits, 2 BB, K
Mary Washington Pitching
Juliet Truslow: 5.0 innings pitched, 5 hits, 2 runs, 2 earned runs, 2 BB, 2 K (W, 10-4)
How It Happened
• The Eagles did not wait long to get on the board as their first three hitters reached base in the bottom of the first inning and scored a pair of runs on an RBI-double by Rachel Porchie. A pair of fielder's choices later in the inning would add two more runs as the Eagles led 4-0 after the first inning.
• Rachel Porchie would strike again in the second inning as she blasted a two-out two-run homer to center to push the lead out to six after the first two frames.
• York would get on the board in the top of the third when Elle Meyer and Natalie Decena scored on a single to left by Mia Ruffalo to bring the Spartans back within four. The Eagles would answer in the bottom half of the inning scoring four more runs on five hits. The Eagles got RBI-hits by Courtney Shea, Hannah Bruns, and Porchie in the inning as the Eagles led 10-2 after three innings.
• The Spartans would get shutout the next two innings and fall to the top-seeded Eagles 10-2 via the run rule in five innings to eliminate them from the tournament.
The Spartans are now 12-2 all-time against the Knights and are 38-54 against the Eagles … the Spartans finish the season with 25 wins, the fifth straight 20-win season for the softball program … the Spartan senior class ended their careers with a 105-67-1 record … York had four players finish with over 40 hits on the year led by Alyssa Harhigh (47) along with Elle Meyer (46), Taylor Lindsay (45), and Shyla Pastore (43) … York hit 36 home runs as a team which shattered the previous program record set a two years ago led by Harhigh with 13, Lindsay with 9, and Mia Ruffalo with 8 … Harhigh finished second in the conference in homers and RBIs at 38 … Ginger Lewis tied her career high with 14 wins on the season and set a new career high with 17 complete games … she also set a new career mark with a season ERA of 1.61 … the Spartans conclude their season with a 9-5 record on the road.
The Spartans close out their 2019 campaign and say goodbye to seniors Joanna Marmo and Mia Ruffalo as they have completed their Spartan careers. Head coach Jen Petteys will enter her eighth season at the helm of the Spartan softball program with a strong young core of returners for next season in York's final season in the Capital Athletic Conference.