WILLIAMSPORT, Pa. – The York College wrestling team wrapped up day one at the Budd Whitehill National Duals with a 25-13 victory over SUNY Oswego Saturday evening at Lycoming College. The Spartans opened the day with a 32-10 setback to No. 21 Wisconsin-Eau Claire, followed by hard-fought 23-16 loss to Springfield in the second dual of the day. York finished with a record of 1-2 on the day to earn the third seed coming out of Group C and will compete in the 9-12th place bracket in tomorrow's competition.
Wisconsin-Eau Claire 7-2
How It Happened
#21 Wisconsin-Eau Claire 32, York 10
• The Spartans wrestled tough in a pair of close losses to start the dual. Jared Kuhns went back-and-forth before eventually surrendering a 11-8 decision to Jack Marley at 125 lbs. Blake Shalbert also wrestled hard, but did not have enough to overcome a 9-6 defeat to Thomas Severson at 133 lbs.
• Eau Claire then blew the lead open with a fall at 141 lbs. followed by a technical fall at 149 lbs. to take a 17-0 advantage.
• The Spartans stopped the Eau Claire run with back-to-back victories at 157 and 165 by the team captains. Eric Hutchinson put York on the board with a dominant 14-1 major decision over Adam Rients to cut the deficit to 17-4. Jesse Rocco took an early 6-3 lead with a big first period and then found his offense again in third period as he scored four more points on his way to an 11-7 victory as York trailed 17-7 after six bouts.
• Eau Claire quickly flipped the momentum back to its favor with a first-period fall at 174 and followed that up with another fall at 184 to take a 29-7 lead and clinch the dual victory.
• The Spartans would not go away quietly as Camden Farrow put one last notch in the win column for York as he edged out an 8-6 win over Mason Hawkins with a takedown in sudden victory at 197 lbs.
Springfield 23, York 16
• Kuhns started things off in the right direction as the sophomore scored a last-minute takedown to earn a 3-2 victory over Robert Hartling at 125 to give York the early lead. The lead was short-lived as Springfield rolled off three-straight wins, but the Spartans remained in striking distance as they only trailed, 10-3, with six bouts remaining.
• York rebounded with three-straight victories of its own to take a 16-10 lead heading into the final three bouts. Again, the team captain duo of Hutchinson and Rocco came through with victories at 157 and 165, respectively, while sophomore Kyle Strazdus put York back on top with a huge first-period fall over Jake Kennedy at 174 lbs.
• Springfield received a big lift at 184 with a major decision victory to cut the deficit to two. After a narrow 4-3 victory at 197, the Pride owned a one-point lead heading into the final bout where No. 5 Joe Fusco clinched the dual victory with a first-period fall.
York 25, Oswego 13
• The Spartans rushed out to a 13-0 lead with three-straight victories to start the dual. Kuhns started the run with bonus points on a 14-2 major decision at 125, while Shalbert edged out a 5-4 victory at 133. Verlensky Joachim capped off the opening run in a big way with a first-period fall to record his first pin in a dual this season.
• Timmy Sparks scored a pair of takedowns on his way to a 6-4 victory at 157 to give York a 16-3 advantage, but the Lakers battled back and cut the deficit to just three with two bouts to go.
• With the fate of the dual hanging in the balance, Farrow came through with the most impactful victory of the day. Trailing by three with less than 30 seconds left in the bout, Farrow earned an escape, then locked up a cradle for a takedown and two near fall points in the closing seconds to earn a 10-8 victory and put York ahead by six heading into the final bout.
• Thomas Tabatneck finished out the dual with a fall at 3:33 to clinch the dual meet victory over Oswego and lift the Spartans to their lone victory of the day.
Eric Hutchinson and Jesse Rocco both compiled records 2-0 on the day as the only Spartans to finish the day undefeated … Hutchinson improves to 19-1 overall with a dual meet record of 8-1, while Rocco improves to 11-7 overall and 4-2 in duals … Hutchinson posted a pair of major decision victories and ranks 10th among all wrestlers at the Budd Whitehill Duals with 26 total match points … Jared Kuhns compiled 25 match points as he went 2-1 on the day to improve his overall record to 10-5 with a dual meet record of 7-3 … Camden Farrow also finished 2-1 on the day to improve his overall season mark to 15-6 and his dual record to 7-3.
The Spartans continue their stint at the Budd Whitehill Duals tomorrow as they will compete in the 9-12th place bracket. York will open the day against host Lycoming at 9 a.m. on mat two.
#21 Wisconsin-Eau Claire 32, York 10
125: Jack Marley (Wis.-Eau Claire) dec. Jared Kuhns (York), 11-8
133: Thomas Severson (Wis.-Eau Claire) dec. Blake Shalbert (York), 9-6
141: Tyler Demo (Wis.-Eau Claire) fall Verlensky Joachim (York), 2:59
149: Jake Drexler (Wis.-Eau Claire) tech. fall Timmy Sparks (York), 18-2
157: Eric Hutchinson (York) maj. dec. Adam Rients (Wis.-Eau Claire), 14-1
165: Jesse Rocco (York) dec. Tristan Massie (Wis.-Eau Claire), 11-7
174: Evan Lawrence (Wis.-Eau Claire) fall Joey Bunce (York), 1:12
184: Grant Balconi (Wis.-Eau Claire) fall Kyle Strazdus (York), 4:08
197: Camden Farrow (York) dec. Mason Hawkins (Wis.-Eau Claire), 8-6 (SV-1)
285: Blaze Beltran (Wis.-Eau Claire) dec. Thomas Tabatneck (York), 2-0
Springfield 23, York 16
125: Jared Kuhns (York) dec. Robert Hartling (Springfield), 3-2
133: Ian Tolotti (Springfield) maj. dec. Logan Fox (York), 8-0
141: Ryan Peters (Springfield) dec. Tyson McDuffy (York), 11-6
149: Michael Vietri (Springfield) dec. Robbie Fleming (York), 10-4
157: Eric Hutchinson (York) maj. dec. Joseph Parsons (Springfield), 12-3
165: Jesse Rocco (York) dec. Nicolas Monteleone (Springfield), 3-0
174: Kyle Strazdus (York) fall Jake Kennedy (Springfield), 1:42
184: Ryan Errico (Springfield) maj. dec. Billy Myers (York), 13-5
197: Tyler Neglia (Springfield) dec. Camden Farrow (York), 4-3
285: Joe Fusco (Springfield) fall Thomas Tabatneck (York), 2:02
York 25, SUNY Oswego 13
125: Jared Kuhns (York) maj. dec. Dan Fishman (Oswego), 14-2
133: Blake Shalbert (York) dec. William Hardin (Oswego), 5-4
141: Verlensky Joachim (York) fall Nicolai Celestain (Oswego), 2:12
149: Joshua Bressette (Oswego) dec. Robbie Fleming (York), 5-3
157: Timmy Sparks (York) dec. Caleb Beach (Oswego), 6-4
165: Charlie Grygas (Oswego) dec. Edward Williams (York), 5-0
174: Isaac Mathews (Oswego) maj. dec. Joey Bunce (York), 13-1
184: Colby Harblin (Oswego) dec. Kyle Strazdus (York), 8-7
197: Camden Farrow (York) dec. Aidan Mathews (Oswego), 10-8
285: Thomas Tabatneck (York) fall Toryan Jones (Oswego), 3:33