WESTMINSTER, MD – For the second straight Saturday, the Spartans dropped a pair of matches in a tri-match on Saturday at McDaniel College. This time, host McDaniel got the better of the Spartans in the opener before Catholic downed York 3-0 in the nightcap. The Spartans fall to 4-5 for the campaign.
Score: York 1, McDaniel 3 (25-14, 26-24, 24-26, 26-24)
Records: York 4-4, McDaniel 6-5
Kills: York 33, McDaniel 40
Errors: York 23, McDaniel 20
Attacks: York 125, McDaniel 123
Attack %: York .080, McDaniel 163
Assists: York 31, McDaniel 37
Service Aces: York 8, McDaniel 10
Service Errors: York 11, McDaniel 12
Digs: York 48, McDaniel 50
Total Blocks: York 0, McDaniel 0
How It Happened:
• The Green Terror got off to a quick start in set one as they raced out to a 8-2 lead. McDaniel maintained the lead as the lead eventually grew to 22-9. The Green Terror sailed home from there for the 25-14 win.
• The Spartans turned the tables in set two as they sprinted out to the early lead with a 7-1 advantage. The lead grew to 18-9 as they looked well on the way to tying the match at one. York had set point at 24-17 but McDaniel erased that deficit by scoring the final nine points of the set to take the commanding 2-0 lead.
• York bounced back with a solid start to the third set with an 8-4 lead. The Green Terror battled back to tie the set at 16-16 but York answered by scoring six of the next eight points to take a 22-18 lead. Again, McDaniel answered as they tied the set at 23. The set would be tied again at 24 but a pair of McDaniel attack errors gave York their lone set win of the day, 26-24.
• The Spartans got off to a ridiculously good start in the fourth set as they zoomed out to a 15-3 lead. The Green Terror refused to roll over as they scored 17 of the match's next 25 points to draw to within three at 23-20. A McDaniel service error left York one point away from forcing a fifth set but the Green Terror ended the match on a 6-0 run to earn another 26-24 win.
Claire Shorb: 7 kills, .273 attack %, 3 digs
Madyson Whitcomb: 7 kills, .294 attack %, 1 service ace, 2 digs
Abby Diehl: 13 assists, 1 kill, 4 service aces, 4 digs
Lexi Daley: 12 assists, 1 kill, 3 service aces, 2 digs
Emily Pupo: 12 digs, 1 assist
Green Terror Leaders
Anna Jezerski: 8 kills, 1 service ace, 1 dig
Gayle Edelstein: 5 kills, .357 attack %, 26 assists, 7 digs, 1 service ace
Kendall Hanak: 10 digs, 1 kill, 3 assists, 5 service aces
Score: York 0, Catholic 3 (26-24, 25-23, 25-20)
Records: York 4-5, Catholic 8-3
Kills: York 37, Catholic 24
Errors: York 25, Catholic 12
Attacks: York 113, Catholic 92
Attack %: York .106, Catholic .130
Assists: York 35, Catholic 23
Service Aces: York 10, Catholic 7
Service Errors: York 6, Catholic 6
Digs: York 43, Catholic 38
Total Blocks: York 0, Catholic 0
How It Happened
• Catholic got off to a good start with a 6-1 run to start the first set. The Spartans trailed 10-8 and then fashioned an 8-3 run to take a 16-13 lead. The Cardinals fought back and tied the set at 22. York's Madyson Whitcomb got a kill to give York a 23-22 lead but Catholic scored four of the last five points to earn a 26-24 set one win.
• York got off to the quick start in the second as they led 12-5. The Cardinals hit York with a 10-3 run, tying the set at 15. The set would be tied again at 16, 18, 21, 22, and 23 before the Cardinals earned the final two points to pick up the set win.
• Set three was back and forth as there were nine ties in the first 36 points of the set. The final tie came at 18. The Cardinals finished the set and the match with a 7-2 run to earn a 25-20 win.
Claire Shorb: 11 kills, .381 attack %, 1 assist, 1 service ace, 6 digs
Tyler Williams: 6 kills, 2 digs, 1 assist
Abby Diehl: 13 assists, 1 kill, 1 service ace, 4 digs
Madyson Whitcomb: 5 kills, .214 attack %, 2 service aces, 3 digs
Emily Pupo: 11 digs, 4 assists, 1 kill
Patricia Martinez: 6 kills, 11 digs, 1 service ace
Maria Gonzalez: 5 kills, 14 assists, 1 service ace, 6 digs
Isabelle Cooper: 4 kills
The Spartans return to action on Wednesday evening when they travel to Carlisle, PA to face the Dickinson Red Devils. Dickinson knocked off the Spartans in the opening game of the season at Gettysburg. The match is set for a 7:00 pm start.